Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Make a Kumihimo Disk and Bracelet Part 1


My daughter and I have been on a bracelet making kick lately. I've found this fabulous method of making bracelets based on a Japanese braiding technique called Kumihimo. My technique uses a homemade Kumihimo disk and embroidery floss. Part 1 of this tutorial focuses on making the disk.

Required Supplies:
1. Printout of Kumihimo Disk Template (save and print the jpg below as if it were a 5x7 print to achieve the correct size):

2. Glue Stick or other glue
3. Craft Knife or Utility Knife
4. Stiff but cut-able base. I recommend foam core board, corrugated cardboard, styrofoam, or plastic such as a large yogurt cover. These can easily be found in the recycling. I notice that many political signs are printed on foam core (but please don't steal). ;-) I used foam core from an ugly framed picture I picked up at the thrift store (now I can use the frame for something better!).
5. Straight Edge

Start by cutting out your printed template. No need to cut perfectly as you will be cutting around it again soon.

Paste the template on your base.

Use your knife to cut along the outside circle AND the inside circle.

Use a straight edge to cut each of the 32 small lines around the diameter of the circle. Make sure your knife cuts all the way through.

Congratulations - you have completed your disk!
Now head to Part 2.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice

Anonymous said...

THANKS! I've been trying to find out how everywhere.

Anonymous said...

how far apart are the small lines?

Bree said...

The distance between the lines is not as important as the number of lines on the circle - 32. Make sure you have 32 slits in your circle.

Have fun!

Wafflehouse said...

Awesome. You should find a way to make this more publice. it took me a while to find this website off of google.

ien said...

Hi, bree!!
I just found this post, and all I can say is you wrote a very clear instructions!!
Thanks for sharing this.
I wonder what size would the bracelet be, if you use 20" yarns.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Ezactly what i was looking for~ i saw someone with a bracelet made of beads braided in the round, and have been wondering how the heck i could make one! Yay!

ChihuahuaCharms said...

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for posting :) xxx Hannah

Linda w said...

Thanks, I so wanted to give this a try, I have cord etc and didn't want to wait for a loom to come lol. Hugs Lin I found you with a google search.

Julia Nowak said...

SUPER!!!!!!!!!